OSRS Mining Guide
Game Guides , Runescape
What is Mining?
Mining is a resource gathering skill that allows you to mine ores that are spread out throughout the runescape map.
Why Should You Train Mining?
Levelling up your mining allows you to mine higher tier ores and at higher levels you can make a decent amount of money per hour mining these ores. These money making ores are as follows:
- Runite Ore
A decent number of quests require mining to complete, some of these quests are almost essential as they upgrade your account in a significant way. The quests that require mining are as follows:
- The Knight’s Sword - Mining Level 10
- Tale of the Righteous - Mining Level 10
- In Aid of the Myreque - Mining Level 15
- The Lost Tribe - Mining Level 17
- Darkness of Hallowvale - Mining Level 20
- Elemental Workshop 1 - Mining Level 20
- Tears of Guthix - Mining Level 20
- Spirits of the Elid - Mining Level 37
- Between a Rock… - Mining Level 40
- Family Crest - Mining Level 40
- Watchtower - Mining Level 40
- What Lies Below - Mining Level 42
- A Kingdom Divided - Mining Level 42
- Heroes’ Quest - Mining Level 50
- Legends’ Quest - Mining Level 52
- Lunar Diplomacy - Mining Level 60
- Dragon Slayer 2 - Mining Level 68
- Song of the Elves - Mining Level 70
- Making Friends with My Arm - Mining Level 72
If you are going for a quest cape you will need at least 72 mining to be able to complete all the quests listed above.
You will also need 85 mining to be able to complete all the achievement diaries in the game.
Lastly, having a high mining level will help you in both Chambers of Xeric and Tombs of Amascut raids. In Chambers of Xeric it will allow you to deal more damage to the stone guardians and in Tombs of Amascut it will allow you to deal max damage to the pillar.
In this guide I will first go over the useful items that will help speed up your mining exp gains, then I would explain two different pathways you can take while training mining. The first one will be low intensity mining training and the second will be high intensity that uses tick manipulation. ( Second one is much faster so if you want to use that but don’t know how to tick manipulate, please watch some youtube videos on it, as it’s easier to learn through visuals. ) There are two different ways you can mine any rock in the game. The first one is “powermining” which is where you drop the ores that you mine to save time instead of going to a bank. To do this don’t forget to enable your shift-drop option. Second one is regular mining where you go to the nearest bank everytime your inventory gets full.
Lastly don’t forget to always use the best pickaxe available for your mining level. You don’t need to equip the pickaxe to use it, so you can use high tier pickaxes without needing to get the attack requirement. Also if you have the attack requirement, you can use the dragon or the crystal pickaxe’s special attack, to boost your mining level. The crystal pickaxe is the best pickaxe in the game requiring 71 mining to wield. To get the crystal pickaxe you need to complete the Song of the Elves and need to have 76 crafting and smithing alongside 120 crystal shards and a crystal tool seed.
Useful Items and Unlocks
- Prospector Kit: Prospector kit is an item set that boosts the mining exp you receive. To get the set you need to headover to the motherload mine and mine pay-dirt to get golden nuggets. The full set requires a total of 180 golden nuggets to buy.
( More details in the guide )
- Celestial Ring: Celestial ring can be purchased from Dusuri’s Star Shop for 2000 stardust. The ring provides an invisible +4 mining boost when equipped. Also when charged with stardust the ring has a 1/10 chance to double the ore you get from rocks up to adamantite. You still get the exp for this so it effectively boosts your exp gains while powermining by %10.
- Varrock Armour: Varrock armour is a reward from Varrock diaries. When equipped it has %10 chance to double the ore that you have mined, this also provides the exp for the ore. There are different tiers to this armour and they have different benefits:
- Tier 1: Doubles up to gold
- Tier 2: Doubles up to lovakite
- Tier 3: Doubles up to adamantite
- Tier 4: Doubles all ores ( with some specific exceptions )
- Mining Guild: At level 60 you gain access to the mining guild. In the guild the rocks spawn faster and you will have an invisible +7 mining boost. Also while mining within the guild you will obtain unidentified minerals, which you can spend in the guild shop to buy mining gloves. Mining gloves have a chance to not deplete the rock that you mine however they only work on certain rocks.
Normal Method to 99
Resource gathering skills are really slow to train when your level is low. So the best way to get to a decent mining level is to complete some easy quests.
- Levels 1 - 37: Completing the following quests will get you straight to level 37 if you don’t want to do quests, you can power mine tin and copper until you reach level 15 then from there you can start powermining iron ore. The quest that you need to complete are:
- Doric’s Quest
- The Dig Site
- Plague City
- The Giant Dwarf
- The Lost Tribe
- Another Slice of H.A.M
- Level 37 - 70: For these levels you should alternate between motherload mine and powermining iron ore. It’s highly recommended to spend some time in the motherload mine here to get yourself the full prospector kit and have enough golden nuggets to unlock the upper level of the motherload mine for when you reach level 72. For powermining iron ore you should find a place that has 3 iron ore deposits next to each other and mine them. After reaching level 60 you should head into the mining guild to mine the iron ore there.
- Level 70 - 99: From level 70, with the completion of Bone Voyage quest and having 150 kudos you can start doing the Volcanic Mine minigame. The best way to do this activity is with a group. To find a group go to your grouping interface and select volcanic mine. Alternatively you can start mining at the upper levels of the motherload mine starting at level 72. This method is really afk but it takes much longer to get to 99 this way.
3-Tick Method to 99
- Levels 1- 37: This part is the same as the normal method. Complete the quests I listed above to get to level 37 or power mine to it.
- Levels 37 - 45: From level 37 you will be 3-tick power mining iron ore. Find a place that has 3 iron ore rocks next to each other and get to mining!
- Levels 45 - 99: The fastest method to get to 99 mining is 3-tick granite mining. Granite is a resource that can be found in the desert so for this method you will need ways to negate desert heat damage. The items that you can use for this feat is as follows:
- Circlet of water
- Desert Amulet 4
- Hp Cape
- Regen bracelet
- Desert clothing
- Prospector’s Kit
Using at least a varrock armour tier 2 is recommended as it will give you a %10 exp boost. To do this method correctly you need to mine the 4 rocks that are shown in the picture. Your character needs to move to the next rock consistently so whether you mine the rock or fail to mine it doesn’t matter, just move on to the next rock in a cycle.
Money Making Methods
- Gem Rocks: Starting at level 40 you can mine gemstones at Shilo Village. There are two mines in Shilo Village. The first one is above the surface and you can immediately access it after completing The Shilo Village quest. The second one is much bigger and better but you can only access it after completing hard Karamja diary. This is decent exp and will make you profit should you do it until 85 or 99.
- Runite Ore: Mining runite ore is one of the oldest money making methods that exists in the game. There are many different runite ore deposits spread throughout the map. The method is to pick a location and hop worlds each time you mine the ore to mine the next one. You can start doing this at level 85 and if you choose to do this until level 99 you will be making a lot of money.
- Amethyst: Starting at level 92 you can mine amethyst deposits in the mining guild. There are many deposits in the guild so you will never have to hop worlds or compete against other players. This is also much more afk than mining runite ore.
Tired of Grinding? Buy Runescape Gold and Rock the game!