OSRS Herblore Guide
Game Guides , Runescape
What is Herblore ?
Herblore is a production skill in which the players create various potions.
Why Should You Train Herblore ?
Herblore is one of the most important skills in Old School Runescape, especially if you are an Ironman of any kind. It allows players to create various potions, which are necessary all throughout the game. Herblore also unlocks a bunch of low effort money making methods the more you train it.
There are also a bunch of quests that require a certain herblore level to complete. Those quests are:
- Jungle potion - Level 3 Herblore
- Lunar Diplomacy - Level 5 Herblore
- Zogre Flesh Eaters - Level 8 Herblore
- The Dig Site - Level 10 Herblore (boostable)
- Watchtower - Level 14 Herblore (boostable)
- Shades of Mort’ton - Level 15 Herblore (boostable)
- One Small Favour - Level 18 Herblore (boostable)
- Heroes’ Quest - Level 25 Herblore (boostable)
- Eadgar’s Ruse - Level 31 Herblore (boostable)
- A Taste of Hope - Level 40 Herblore (boostable)
- Legends’ Quest - Level 45 Herblore (boostable)
- Land of the Goblins - Level 48 Herblore
- A Kingdom Divided - Level 50 Herblore
- Grim Tales - Level 52 Herblore (boostable)
- Fairytale II Cure a Queen - Level 57 Herblore (boostable)
- Song of the Elves - Level 70 Herblore
To be able to complete all the quests and obtain a quest cape you will need at least level 70 herblore.
There are also many achievements in the game that require you to have a high herblore level. If you are looking to complete all the achievements in the game you will be needing at least level 90 herblore.
1 - 99 Herblore Guide
Before you can start training your herblore skill you will need to complete the quest “Druidic Ritual”. Which unlocks the skill and gets you to level 3 herblore.
Unlike most skills, you don’t need to complete a bunch of quests to skip the early levels, since herblore training by itself is faster. However if you are looking to do some easy quests to gain some herblore experience here are the quests that you will be looking for:
- Jungle Potion - 775 Herblore exp
- Recruitment Drive - 1,000 Herblore exp
- The Dig Site - 2,000 Herblore exp
- Shades of Mort’ton - 2,000 Herblore exp
- Zogre Flesh Eaters - 2,000 Herblore exp
Alongside the completion of Druidic Ritual these quests will get you straight to level 19 herblore.
Amulet of Chemistry is an amulet that has 5 charges. When worn the player has 5% chance to create a 4-dose potion rather than a 3-dose potion. When all 5 charges are used up the amulet crumbles to dust. This amulet should be used when crafting expensive potions to cut on some losses.
GP/XP is a term used to know how much money is being spent per experience point. Since herblore is an expensive skill it is always a good idea to check gp to exp rates to find the most suitable potion to craft. The way to determine the gp to exp is pretty simple: buy ingredients to brew a single potion then brew and sell it. Subtract the price of the final product from the ingredients then divide it by the amount of experience you gain. Lower the final number, the cheaper the training method.
Lastly before you sell your crafted potions it is recommended to first decant them to 4-dose potions using the npc near the grand exchange then sell them.
Cost Effective Route to 99
- Levels 3 - 15 Attack Potions: After completing the quest Druidic Ritual, buy yourself 90 unfinished guam potions and eyes of newt. Withdraw 14 of each from your bank and start crafting. This will take around 3 minutes.
- 2. Levels 15 - 26 Serum 207: For this method you will need to complete the quest “Shades of Mort’ton” first. Buy yourself 127 unfinished tarromin potions and ashes, then combine them together. This process takes around 4 minutes. (If you don’t want to complete the quest, you should do strength potions instead.)
- 3. Levels 26 - 38 Energy Potions: Buy yourself 322 unfinished harralander potions and chocolate dusts. Combine them together, this will take around 10 minutes to do.
- 4. Levels 38 - 63 Prayer Potions: For this potion you can use the amulet of chemistry. Buy yourself 3,866 unfinished ranarr potions and snape grasses, then combine them together to create prayer potions. This process takes around 1.5 hour to do.
- 5. Levels 63 - 90 Super Restores: You should be using the amulet of chemistry for this potion as well. Buy yourself 34,932 unfinished snapdragon potions and red spiders’ eggs, then combine them together to create super restores. This process will take around 15 hours.
- 6. Levels 90 - 99 Super Combat Potions: Use an amulet of chemistry for this potion as well. This method is much less afk compared to other methods due to it requiring more than 2 ingredients, however this also makes it cost effective compared to other potions. Using bank fillers can help your speed for this method. Buy yourself 51,254 super attack, super defence, super strength (4-dose) and clean torstols. Withdraw 7 of each from your bank and use the herb on any one of them to start creating the potions. This will take around 26 hours to complete.
Cheapest Route to 99
A side note is that cleaning herbs is actually the cheapest method to train your herblore. However it is so slow that it is not recommended for anybody to do. You will be making money cleaning herbs but the skill becomes even slower than runecrafting so I am not going to include it in this guide.
- Level 38 - 90 Prayer Potions: First 38 levels of the route are the same as the cost effective route. Wear your amulet of chemistry and buy yourself 60,754 unfinished ranarr potions and snape grasses. Combine them together to create prayer potions. This process will take you around 25 hours to complete.
- 2. Level 90 - 94 Super Combat Potions: Wear your amulet of chemist and buy yourself 17,322 super attack, super defence, super strength (4-dose) and clean torstols. Combine them together to create super combat potions. This process will take you around 9 hours to do.
- 3. Levels 94 - 99 Anti-Venom+: Buy yourself 40,719 unfinished torstol potions and anti-venoms, then combine them together to create anti-venom+. This process will take around 34 hours to complete.
Fastest Route to 99
This is only recommended for players that have a lot of money to spare.
- Levels 63 - 66 Super Restore Potions: For the starting levels you can use the potions shown on the cost effective section or you can always craft the potions that yields the highest amount of experience. Buy yourself 896 unfinished snapdragon potions and red spiders’ eggs, then combine them together to create super restore potions. This will take you around 30 minutes to do so.
- 2. Levels 66 - 69 Super Defence Potions: Buy yourself 1,146 unfinished cadantine potions and white berries, then combine them together to create super defence potions. This will take you around 30 minutes to complete.
- 3. Levels 69 - 72 Anti-Firebreath Potions: Buy yourself 1,468 unfinished lantadyme potions and ground blue dragon scales, then combine them together to create anti-fire potions. This process will take around 40 minutes to complete.
- 4. Levels 72 - 76 Ranging Potions: Buy yourself 2,691 unfinished dwarf weed potions and wines of Zamorak, then combine them together to create ranging potions. This process will take around 1 hour.
- 5. Levels 76 - 81 Magic Potions: Buy yourself 4,965 unfinished lantadyme potions and potato cactuses, then combine them together to create magic potions. This process will take around 2 hours.
- 6. Levels 81 - 99 Saradomin Brews: For this method use amulets of chemistry. Buy yourself 60,232 unfinished toadflax potions and crushed bird nests, then combine them together to create Saradomin brews. This will take around 25 hours.
*If you'd rather skip grinding the game, you can quickly buy OSRS GP from us!