Berserk Barbarian Build Guide D2R 2.6
Berserk Barbarian Introduction
Berserk Barbs are amongst the Og. builds in the game. Berserk deals a high amount of magical damage, making zerk barbs capable of killing Bosses even on player 8. The build mainly excels at Boss farming, Travincal, and seal-popping Diablo runs. For higher monster density areas, there are more optimal build choices.
For Travincal runs and short-distance bosses you can rely on running, but if you want to farm Bosses such as Mephisto, Diablo, Andariel or the Countess, you should ideally wear an Enigma runeword so you can teleport. Wearing Dual-HOTO for teleportation and casting Battle Orders is beneficial, as you will reach the 63% FCR Breakpoint.
The build has great magic finding potential, and can have 500% MF without compromising its damage. Immunes will not cause you any trouble, since there are barely any magic immune monsters in the game (except for Baal Wave 2). The survivability of the build is great, especially in elemental damage absorption gear. The downside is that you might need to rely on potions to recover life and mana.
Attacking skills: The build entirely relies on the Berserk skill for attacking. You will be able to deal immense amounts of magic damage (1000%+ from Berserk). On the downside, you won’t be able to leech life or mana, so you have to rely on other sources for regeneration, such as potions, or a Phoenix shield’s redemption aura. Berserk attacks one target at a time, so it is not an effective skill on the Cow Level and other dense areas.
Movement: If you prefer to farm Travincal, or places near waypoints, you can rely simply on running, as your run speed will be quite fast thanks to the Increased Speed skill. If you want to farm Bosses, i strongly suggest using an enigma and 2*HOTO as switch weapons to be able to teleport at 9 frames frequency.
Survivability: The Berserk barb’s survivability is quite good, and is a viable build for Hardcore. While attacking with berserk, your defense becomes 0, so you will need to rely on blocking with your shield and fast hit recovery. As you can’t leech life, the best option is to prevent significant life loss by having at least 75% all resistance (Can go up to 90% with guardian angel), 50% physical damage reduction (with Stormshield), and 75% chance to block. In addition you can also wear elemental damage absorption items, and use a potion once in a while.
Party and Solo play: Everyone appreciates a Barbarian in their party. You will buff all members with your Battle Orders, Battle Command and Shout skills, more than doubling the party’s survivability. You might also be able to help out with difficult Boss kills, such as the Ubers.
Magic Find: The zerker barb has decent magic finding potential. You can have up to 500% MF without compromising your damage, and you will be able to farm any Boss in the game.
Strength: Have 156 strength in total to be able to wear a Monarch shields.
Dexterity: Put enough points on it to reach 75% chance to block.
Vitality: Put all the rest of your available points on it.
Energy: Don’t put any points on it
- Max out Battle Orders
- Max out Howl
- Put the rest of the points on Find Item (optional)
- Put a point on Increased Stamina, Increased Speed, Iron Skin and Natual Resistance
- Max out your preferred weapon’s mastery
- Put a point on Berserk’s prerequisites
- Max out Berserk
Berserk Barbarian Gearing Options
- Arreat’s Face ➤ The best helm choice for damage and great for defense too
- Harlequin Crest Shako ➤ Has great offensive and defensive qualities, also a great choice for Magic Find and Hardcore.
- Crown of Ages ➤ You should consider using it on Hardcore.
- Lore runeword ➤ A great ladder starter helm.
- Mara’s Kaleidoscope ➤ Overall a decent choice
- Metalgrid ➤ Boosts both attack rating and defense
- Magic Amulet with Magic Find% ➤ The best amulet for Magic Finding.
- Highlord’s Wrath ➤ The best amulet for offense
- Enigma ➤ If you want to teleport, it is a must have item. It’s also great for offense. It is also a the best choice for Magic Finding.
- Chains of Honor ➤ A balanced armor for both defense and offense, solves resistance problems
- Fortitude runeword ➤ The best runeword for offense and also great for defense
- Stealth Runeword ➤ A good budget ladder starter.
- Grief Berserker Axe or Phase Blade ➤ The highest damage weapon choice.
- Breath of the Dying eth Berserker Axe of Colossus Blade ➤ Another high damage, decent option
- Oath runeword ➤ A more affordable but still high damage choice.
- Phoenix runeword Monarch ➤ The highest damage shield choice, also great for healing and mana recovery
- Stormshield ➤ The best defensive and budget choice.
- 2*Heart of the Oak Flail ➤ An optimal switch weapon for teleportation with Enigma
- 2*6*Ist Crystal Sword ➤ Best when using the Find Item skill
- 2*3 To Warcries Spear ➤ Best for casting Battle Orders, Battle Command and Shout
- Raven Frost ➤ Great option against cold damage and being frozen, also good Attack Rating booster
- Steelrend ➤ The best offensive gloves.
- Rare 20% IAS resist gloves ➤ The best option for defense, great budget choice
- String of Ears ➤ Optimal budget choice
- Verdungo’s Hearty Cord ➤ Great defensive belt, consider it for Hardcore
- Gore Rider ➤ The best choice for offense
- Triple resist 30% FRW boots ➤ The best choice for survivability
- Sandstorm Trek ➤ One of the best choices for survivability, especially if ethereal.
- Waterwalk ➤ Another great choice for survivability
- War Traveler ➤ The best for Magic Finding.
- Annihilus ➤ A must have item for every build.
- Barbarian Hellfire Torch ➤ Another must have item
- + All resistances small charm ➤ If you can afford it, try to have them with +life.
- + Life small charm ➤ If you can afford it, try to have them with +mana.
- 40% Enhanced damage / 15 IAS magic jewels ➤ The best choice for damage boosting.
- Ist rune ➤ The best choice for Magic Finding.
- Um rune ➤ Use it for allresist boosting if needed.
- Perfect Diamond ➤ Can use it instead of Um runes in shields and helms.
Have an Act2 mercenary with Might Aura to boost your damage.
Ethereal items don’t lose durability if your mercenary wears them, so having ethereal item bases for each gear slot is preferred due to the increased defense on armor items and increased damage on weapons. In many instances ethereal items that are great for mercenaries will be much more expensive than non-ethereal ones.
- Any 3 socketed helm with 3 perfect diamond ➤ increase mercenary resistances and survivability
- Tal Rasha’s set helm ➤ a decent choice
- Vampire Gaze unique helm - ➤ another decent choice
- Guillame’s face set helm - usefulness ➤ only use it with high merc defensive abilities
- Andariel’s Visage unique helm ➤ the best helm choice
- Insight runeword ➤ provides meditation aura so you never run out of mana
- Bonehew unique weapon ➤ simply a good choice
- Tomb Reaver unique weapon ➤ the highest damage choice
- The Reaper’s Toll unique weapon ➤ great for both offense and defense
- Pride runeword ➤ the best choice for offense
- Treachery runeword ➤ great for both defense and offense, a budget choice
- Fortitude runeword ➤ the best choice for both defense and offense
Ladder Starter / Budget Berserk Barbarian Gear
Lore Runeword Helm ▬ Highlord’s Wrath amulet ▬ Stealth Runeword Body Armor ▬ Oath Weapon ▬ Stormshield Shield ▬ No Switch Weapon and Shield ▬ Rare resistance rings ▬ Rare 20 IAS resistance gloves ▬ String of Ears Belt ▬ Rare Boots with resistances ▬ Life and Resistance charms ▬ Perfect Diamond Item Sockets
Best Berserk Barbarian Gear
Arreat’s Face helm ▬ Highlord’s Wrath Amulet ▬ Enigma Body Armor ▬ Grief runeword Weapon ▬ Phoenix Monarch Shield ▬ Dual Heart of the Oak Switch Weapons ▬ Raven frost Ring, Attack Rating+ triple resist ring ▬ Steelrend Gloves ▬ Verdungo’s Hearty Cord Belt ▬ Gore Rider Boots ▬ Annihilus ▬ Barbarian Hellfire Torch ▬ +Life, + Attack Rating, +Max damage charms ▬ 40% Enhanced damage 15% IAS jewel sockets
If you'd rather skip farming you can quickly buy D2R Items from our D2R Store.