OSRS Ultimate Magic Guide
Game Guides , Runescape
What is Magic ?
Magic is one of the combat classes on Old School Runescape. It’s arguably one of the most important skills in the game, giving players access to a variety of combat and utility spells. It seeps into most other skills in the game, like: hunter, crafting, smithing, cooking, thieving.
Why Should You Train Magic ?
Magic is a skill that enhances a players game experience, by providing them with fast transportation, single target and aoe damage attacks and a bunch of utility abilities that will help you throughout your entire time in this game. Not only is it useful in many ways, it can also make you a decent amount of gp as well.
Aside from all the benefits a lot of quests has a magic requirement, some of these quests have game changing rewards and are crucial for one's account. The quests that require magic are as follows:
- In Aid of the Myreque - Magic Level 7
- Watchtower - Magic Level 14
- Elemental Workshop 2 - Magic Level 20
- Darkness of hallowvale - Magic Level 33
- The Giant Dwarf - Magic Level 33
- Spirits of the Elid - Magic Level 33
- A Kingdom Divided - Magic Level 35
- Enakhra’s Lament - Magic Level 39
- King’s Ransom - Magic Level 45
- The Eyes of Glouphrie - Magic Level 46
- Sins of the Father - Magic Level 49
- Desert Treasure - Magic Level 50
- Legends’ Quest - Magic Level 56
- Family Crest - Magic Level 59
- Lunar Diplomacy - Magic Level 65
- Swan Song - Magic Level 66
- Dragon Slayer 2 - Magic Level 75
To be able to get a quest cape you will need at least 75 quest points.
Also if you want to do all the achievement diaries in the game, you will need at least 96 magic.
In this magic guide, I am going to go over all the different methods and ways to train your magic. It will include all spellbooks. It will also include methods that will make you money. Since magic is a comprehensive skill, this guide will first go over all the different training methods in different spell books one by one. After that there will be a section for the fastest methods, afk methods and money making methods to 99 magic. If you are looking for the best route to 99 scroll down to “Fastest Magic Training Methods to 99”.
Early Quests Levels
If you don’t want to manually train early levels of magic you can complete Witch’s Potion and Imp Catcher to immediately get 10 magic. After completing these you can move on to completing these quests in the order provided, to get straight to 34 magic.
- Fairytale 1 - Growing Pains
- The Grand Tree
- Lumbridge Guide sunquest of Recipe for Disaster
Enchanting bolts is one of the fastest ways to train your magic on the regular spell book. There are many bolts that a player can enchant, if you are doing this method you should always use the highest tier bolt that you can enchant (except for red topaz ). Enchanting bolts usually costs you money, however this solely depends on the grand exchange prices. Every now and then you can catch profitable bolt margins. If you are doing this method normally it takes 3 ticks for your character to enchant one set of bolts, however you can increase this rate by holding down the space bar and rapidly clicking on the spell. This sounds easy but actually it requires perfectly timed clicks. When done correctly it will massively increase your exp rates. Bolts you can enchant are as follows: ( Exp rates assumes you are 1 ticking the spell )
- Opal - Magic Level 4 - Exp/Hour 49k
- Sapphire - Magic Level 7 - Exp/Hour 93k
- Pearl - Magic Level 24 - Exp/Hour 159k
- Emerald - Magic Level 27 - Exp/Hour 203k
- Red Topaz - Magic Level 29 - Exp/Hour 181k
- Ruby - Magic Level 49 - Exp/Hour 324k
- Diamond - Magic Level 57 - Exp/Hour 368k
- Dragonstone - Magic Level 68 - Exp/Hour 429k
- Onyx - Magic Level 87 - Exp/Hour 533k
If you are thinking about using this method, stock up on bolts that you want to use beforehand, since there is a buying limit on all of them and you will be burning through them super fast.
This is a pretty slow but afk method, you can also speed this method up by manually clicking on each jewellery. You should always use the highest tier of jewellery you can, to maximise your exp gains. This method will not cost you any money as it will most of the time break even or depending on the prices can even make you money.
Combat Spells / Splashing
Another really popular method to train your magic is via casting combat spells. There are 3 ways to use this method:
- First way is to equip the best magic gear you have available to you and go to either rock crabs, sand crabs or ammonite crabs. You can turn on your auto retaliate to afk 10 minutes at a time to train your magic.
- Second way is to equip armour that will give you -65 magic accuracy bonus. By doing this you are guaranteed to splash your spell. After this turn on your auto retaliate and attack any low level creature that won’t be able to deal any damage to you. Like rats in Lumbridge. This will only give you the casting exp but it’s fully afkable. You only need to interact once every 20 minutes.
- Third way to do this has a high slayer requirement of 87. Equip the best magic gear you can get your hands on and head to the kraken cave. Go into the kraken room and attack the main body of the kraken. Since the kraken is underwater it will not take any damage and will not attack you, however you will get the full exp of casting a spell and hitting the monster.
High Level Alchemy / Teleporting / Splashing
At level 55 you unlock the most popular spell in the game which is high level alchemy. High level alchemy transforms items into coins and there are three reasons as to why it’s really good for training your magic. First of all it’s free exp, by alching the right items you will break even or make profit. Secondly it’s afk, the only thing you have to do is to place the item that you are going to alch on the same spot as the high level alchemy spell after that you can either spam click your mouse or assign a mouse key on your keyboard and spam that. Third and the most important reason is that you can combine this spell with other things. Here are few combinations that you can do to really increase your overall gains in runescape:
- High Alch / Agility
You can high alch while running from one obstacle to the next.
- High Alch / Combat
You can high alch in between each of your attacks.
- High Alch / Splashing
You can high alch and splash on a monster. Since you are already manually clicking don’t use combat spells for this. Instead use any “curse” spell. ( weaken, curse, enfeeble, stun… etc ) The ideal one is stun alching which requires level 80 magic. You can stun alch on the demon in the wizards tower or on the Zamorak mage imprisoned in the varrock castle.
- High Alch / Teleport
You can high alch and teleport. You can use any teleport available to you, however teleporting to camelot is the cheapest option. To do this properly you need your f keys setup to immediately switch back to your mage spell book to teleport after a high level alchemy.
To figure out which items to alch consult here: https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/RuneScape:Grand_Exchange_Market_Watch/Alchemy
You can spam click the same teleport to train your magic. Camelot teleport is the cheapest out of all teleports however if you are going to do this it’s recommended to mix it with high level alchemy.
Starting at level 43 you can start casting the spell “Superheat”. This allows you to smelt any ore into a bar using magic. The best ore to use for this spell is iron since it does not require coal to be turned into an iron bar.
Lunar spellbook is unlocked after the completion of Lunar Diplomacy, to get full access to the spells in the book you will also need to complete the quest Dream Mentor. If you are looking to train your magic without getting into combat, Lunar Spellbook is the way to go.
At level 68 you can start casting humidify. Equip a steam battlestaff to save fire and water runes. Grab an inventory of clay and cast humidify. This method will not yield much exp but will be very profitable.
Profit per cast: 950 gp
At level 71 and with the completion of the Dream Mentor quest you will be able to cast the hunter kit spell. To do so, have a staff of earth equipped. This will not yield much exp but will be profitable.
Profit per cast: 432 gp
At level 77 magic you can start casting this spell. Use a smoke battlestaff and giant seaweed for the most efficient inventory. In your inventory have 3 giant seaweeds and 18 buckets of sand for each cast.
Profit Per Cast: 1026 gp
Starting at level 78 you can buy dragon hides from grand exchange and cast tan leather to tan them. This also requires you to complete the hard Fremennik Diary. Equip a staff of fire to do this. This spell tans up to 5 hides per cast. Profit varies depending on the G.E prices and the leather you use.
Profit per cast: 900 gp
At level 80 magic you can start casting string jewellery. Equip a mud battlestaff and fill your inventory with the jewellery you want to string.
Profit Per Cast: 410 gp ( varies )
At level 86 magic you can start casting plank make. Equip a staff of earth and fill your inventory with mahogany logs to cast the spell. Once clicked the spell automatically keeps making planks which makes this method fairly afk. However if you want to fasten this method you can by manually clicking it.
Profit Per Cast: 413 gp
Unlike the lunar spell book, the ancient spell book is fully focused on combat and houses the best magic training method in the game. To unlock this spellbook you will need to complete the quest “Desert Treasure”.
Bursting / Barraging
With ancient spellbook you unlock aoe spells and with them comes the greatest way to train your magic. To do this method you will need to have at least Monkey Madness 1 completed and to do it in the best way possible you will need to at least start Monkey Madness 2 and complete it up to the point where you enter MM2 tunnels.
For Money Madness 1 tunnels:
- Bring your greegree, 2 or 3 antidotes++, 2 emergency food ( you can negate damages with rapid heal ), an imbued heart if you have one, rune pouch with your runes to cast the spell, fill the rest of your inventory with prayer potions.
- For your equipment, you can either use your best magic gear or your best prayer gear and equip a salve amulet (Ei).
- In the tunnels find a spot with 5 skeletal zombies, put on protect melee and start killing them. ( stay under a rock while doing this to avoid getting damaged )
- Skeleton monkeys spawn from the bones, so to maximise your EXP you can pick up the bones and spread them out to 6 different tiles next to where you are killing them.
- Every 10 minutes get out of the aggro zone to reset their aggro timer to afk.
For Monkey Madness 2 tunnels:
- Bring a light source, an imbued heart, rune pouch, 1 prayer potion and 2 -3 emergency food. ( the monkeys in this tunnel drop prayer potions so you can stay in the tunnels as much as you like )
- Equip your best magic gear
- To maximise your gains you can gain or hire 2 other accounts to stack the monkeys for you, however this is not necessary to do.
- Every 10 minutes get out of the aggro zone to reset their aggro timer to afk.
To stack any npc in the game you have to run back and forth 3 tiles, in a L shape. This is usually done near a wall to stack all the mobs on 1 tile.
There are some tasks in slayer that are really good to burst or barrage. It won’t be as afk as killing the monkeys but you will be much more accurate with your spells by having an imbued slayer helm. The slayer tasks that you can barrage are:
- Dust Devils
- Greater Nechryaels
- Warped Jellies
- Smoke Devils
- Abyssal Demons
Most of these monsters are not automatically agroed to you, to aggro them quickly bring a stack of cheapest darts you can buy and attack them one by one. After agroing all of the monsters stack them up on a corner to kill them with your spells.
Fastest Magic Training Methods to 99
- Levels 1 - 4: Wind strike any mob in the game.
- Levels 4 - 7: 1-Tick enchant opal bolts. Check the “Enchanting Bolts” section of this guide for more information.
- Levels 7 - 24: 1-Tick enchant sapphire bolts.
- Levels 24 - 27: 1-Tick enchant pearl bolts.
- Levels 27 - 49: 1-Tick enchant emerald bolts.
- Levels 49 - 57: 1-Tick enchant ruby bolts.
- Levels 57 - 68: 1-Tick enchant diamond bolts.
- Levels 68 - 70: 1-Tick enchant dragonstone bolts
Important Note: 1-Tick enchanting has the best exp rates throughout all levels, however it stops being sustainable as it costs a lot of money, all the bolts also have a low buy limit and it’s hard to 1 tick enchant for hours and hours. You can continue enchanting if you please. From level 68 - 87 dragonstone and from 87 - 99 onyx bolts. I will provide an alternative method for getting 70 magic.
- Alternative Levels 55 - 70: If you don’t want to enchant bolts, you can high alch and teleport or any other method that I have provided in the “High Level Alchemy / Teleporting / Splashing” section of this guide.
- Levels 70 - 94: At level 70, you will start ice bursting monkeys, in monkey madness tunnels. Either one of the tunnels is good, however you will get much higher exp rates in the MM2 tunnels. For more details check the “Bursting / Barraging” section of this guide. ( You can also start barraging alongside bursting at level 85, using the imbued heart and the preserve prayer. )
- Levels 94 - 99: At level 99 you should switch to using ice barrage instead of ice burst. For more details check the “Bursting / Barraging” section of this guide.
Profitable Magic Training to 99
This part is for people that want to mix up their magic training or for people that don’t have that much spare gp to spend on magic training.
- Levels 1 - 7: Cast wind strike on any mob you see in the game.
- Levels 7 - 27: Starting at level 7 you can start making rings of recoil, which will actually make you profit. This method will profit you 70 - 100k
- Levels 27 - 43: At level 27 you will be able to cast level 2 enchant so you are going to be turning emerald rings into rings of duelling. This method will profit you around 100k.
- Levels 43 - 55: If you want to keep making money you can continue creating rings of dueling, however by spending some money you can get to level 55 much quicker. You can use superheat spell on iron ore to create iron bars. This will cost you around 200k gp to get to level 55. Alternatively you can teleport to camelot starting at level 45 to get to level 55, the cost is approximately the same.
- Levels 55 - 99: From here on out you can use high level alchemy if you choose so. You can buy items that will break even or items that will make you a profit, from grand exchange and alch them. It’s highly recommended that you multitask while using high level alchemy, for more information check the “High Level Alchemy / Teleporting / Splashing” section of this guide.
- Levels 55 - 57: High alch items that will profit you or break even the cost of the runes.
- Levels 57 - 68: You can enchant diamond jewellery starting at this level. Turn diamond amulets into amulets of power to get to level 70 magic. This will either break even or make you a little bit of profit.
- Levels 68 - 78: From level 68 to 78 you will be enchanting dragonstone jewellery. To maximise your profits check the G.E prices for each of the items and choose the one with the highest profit margin.
- Levels 78 - 86: For this method you will need to complete the “Lunar diplomacy” and the “hard Fremennik Diary”. Switch to your Lunar spellbook and cast tan leather until you reach level 86. To maximise your profits check the G.E prices for the best leather to tan.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to complete the “hard Fremennik Diary”, you can cast spin flax starting at level 76.
- Levels 86 - 99: Starting at level 86 and with the completion of “Lunar Diplomacy” and “Dream Mentor”, you can start casting the plank make spell. Usually the mahogany planks will bring in the most profit, but check the prices before starting this method just in case.
Afk Magic Training to 99
- Levels 1 - 99: Splashing is the most afkable method that exists in the game. To splash, equip armor that will give you -65 magic bonus. Pick a monster that will not deal any damage to you and attack it with your auto-retaliate on. You can afk up to 20 minutes at a time. The spells you use is up to you, however fire spells are usually preferred. Here is the list of the spells, their exp/h and cost for a regular elemental staff.
- Level 13 Fire Strike - EXP/H: 13,800 - Cost/H: 14,400
- Level 35 Fire Bolt - EXP/H: 27,000 - Cost/H: 122k
- Level 59 Fire Blast - EXP/H: 41,400 - Cost/H: 235k
- Level 75 Fire Wave - EXP/H: 51,000 - Cost/H: 288k
- Level 95 Fire Surger - EXP/H: 60,600 - Cost/H: 314k
There is one way to make this method faster which is to use a Harmonised Nightmare staff. This staff makes your casting speed faster by reducing the cast time by 1 tick. With this staff the exp rates looks like this:
- Level 13 Fire Strike - EXP/H: 17,250
- Level 35 Fire Bolt - EXP/H: 33,750
- Level 59 Fire Blast - EXP/H: 51,750
- Level 75 Fire Wave - EXP/H: 63,750
- Level 95 Fire Surger - EXP/H: 75,750
Hope you found this guide useful and if you don’t want to take any route provided in this guide. You can make your own route using the methods provided.
Tired of Grinding? Buy Runescape Gold and Rock the game!